Stuff co.nz 18 January 2017
Conservative lobby group Family First is seeing red over plans to broadcast Fifty Shades of Grey on free-to-air television.
TV3 plans to screen the R18 film, which depicts a couple’s sadomasochistic relationship, at 8.30pm on Sunday.
Family First spokesman Bob McCoskrie said the movie normalises sexual violence towards women and schoolchildren would be exposed to it due to its early screening time.
“By broadcasting this movie, TV3 [is] counteracting the determined efforts in New Zealand to eliminate sexual violence and support of victims and families.”
McCoskrie cited a 2015 Michigan State University study which showed young women who read sexually violent fiction, like the Fifty Shades of Grey book series, often display the same behavioral symptoms as those who have been sexually victimised.
McCoskrie said the film promoted attitudes which were “destructive” to families.
He called on viewers to boycott businesses that advertised during the film and instead donate to a charity working to end sexual violence.
TV3’s listing describes the movie’s male protagonist, Christian Grey, as a “philandering, sadomasochistic executive”.
“When innocent reporter, Anastasia Steele, interviews the mysterious, fabulously wealthy young corporate mogul, she finds herself caught under the spell of his intensely erotic BDSM game.”
A Mediaworks spokesperson said the film was being screened in accordance with Broadcasting Standards Authority guidelines.
“[It] is scheduled to play in the Adults Only timeslot (i.e. 8.30pm onwards), carries a content warning at the start of the film, and has been edited for television.”
READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/entertainment/88555001/Family-First-calls-for-boycott-of-Fifty-Shades-of-Grey-TV-airing
Family First has major issues with TV3 screening Fifty Shades of Grey
NZ Herald 19 January 2017
Family First has called for TV3 to pull a primetime screening of Fifty Shades of Grey this weekend, saying the raunchy flick “normalises and glamorises sexual violence”.
TV3 says the screening is going ahead, albeit with edited content and viewer warnings.
The film, which was rated R18 at the time of its theatrical release in New Zealand in 2014, is scheduled to screen at 8.30pm on Sunday.
The film is an adaptation of a best-selling book and stars Dakota Johnson, a “sexually inexperienced woman” who begins a relationship with a powerful businessman played by Jamie Dornan.
The Fifty Shades book series by EL James and the film have been wildly popular.
But Family First has called for TV3 to pull the plug on the screening, and wants viewers to boycott businesses who advertise during the film.
“The premise of the movie is that a woman who is humiliated, abused, controlled, entrapped, coerced, manipulated and tortured is somehow an ’empowered’ woman.
“And a man who is possessive, controlling, violent, jealous and coercive is somehow showing ‘true love’,” said Bob McCoskrie, National Director of Family First.
“These are foul and dangerous lies. This movie and the book it is based on simply glamorises sexual violence and should be rejected by everyone who is concerned about family and sexual violence.”
A TV3 spokesperson told the Herald the film had been “edited for television”, was playing in an Adults Only timeslot and included a content warning at the start of the film.
“TV3 is fully committed to its responsibilities as a Free To Air broadcaster, and is airing this film in accordance with them,” the spokesperson said.
But McCoskrie said the network couldn’t guarantee that people under the age of 18 wouldn’t see the film, so shouldn’t be broadcasting it.
“It is time we pointed the finger at the entertainment media’s role in promoting the attitudes which are destructive to our families,” said McCoskrie.
“TV3 are counteracting the determined efforts in NZ to eliminate sexual violence and support of victims and families.”
A sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey, titled Fifty Shades Darker, is due for release on February 9.