Streaker sets ‘dangerous precedent’

NZ Herald 9 September 2014
Saturday night’s All Blacks-match streaker believes her actions were not vulgar despite children being exposed to full nudity, while police crack down on pitch invaders ahead of this weekend’s Ranfurly Shield challenge in Napier.

Rose Kupa, 25, was arrested at McLean Park in Napier after her nude sprint during the second half of the Rugby Championship test against Argentina.

After slowing down briefly during the streak to slap local rugby hero and All Blacks fullback Israel Dagg on the backside, she succumbed to security, with the game delayed for several minutes.

Police gave the woman who wore just a woolly hat a pre-charge warning for disorderly behaviour and trespassed her from McLean Park for two years, but did not proceed with a prosecution.

Red Badge, the security firm contracted for the test match, did not return Hawke’s Bay Today’s phone calls yesterday.

Ms Kupa, a Flaxmere delivery driver, maintained she had “got off lightly” despite the trespass notice and didn’t believe her actions were offensive to the families and children in the crowd.

Family First NZ national director Bob McCoskrie said following the incident: “Families are rightly concerned that they and their children may be confronted by full nudity in a public place.”

In response to Family First NZ, Ms Kupa said: “My family wasn’t offended by it. I don’t really know what to say to that.”

Ms Kupa, who has been a part of the Hawke’s Bay woman’s rugby team training squad, said streaking at an All Blacks game had long been on her bucket list.

Mr McCoskrie said the organisation would be writing to the Minister of Police, Anne Tolley, to ask the Commissioner of Police to review the decision not to prosecute Ms Kupa.

“This case sets a dangerous precedent and means that families are more likely to be confronted by offensive and inappropriate behaviour in public places where they should feel safe about taking their children.”

He noted Christchurch builder Adam Holtslag, 28, streaked during an All Blacks Test in Dunedin in July and was charged by police.