A new study has revealed that parents are being ‘run ragged’ by their offspring when they get back from a stay at their grandparents because they have been so spoilt there.
The study found that youngsters get fed what they want when they want, are allowed to watch whatever they want to on television, and stay up later than their normal bedtime when they stay at their grandparents’ house.
Parents are finding it a struggle to get their children to behave again when they return home – so much so that one in four is now refusing to let youngsters stay overnight with grandparents at all.
A further quarter said that they avoid letting their children stay while more than one in five admitted rowing with their parents or in-laws because they spoil their children too much.
The study of 2,000 parents, carried out on behalf of comedy film Parental Guidance, found 83 per cent say their children are regularly spoilt by their grandparents with plenty of chocolate or cakes the most common treat.
More than a third claim that their children are allowed to stay up past their bedtime at their grandparents and get away with not eating any of their lunch or dinner.
A spokesperson for family comedy film Parental Guidance, which commissioned the study, said: ‘It’s widely accepted that it’s a grandparents’ job to spoil their grandchildren.
TOP TEN WAYS GRANDPARENTS SPOIL THEIR GRANDCHILDREN
- Give them chocolate or cake
- Let them stay up late
- Let them off if they don’t want to eat all of their lunch or dinner
- Let them eat whatever they want
- Let them eat their lunch/dinner in front of the TV
- Let them do whatever they want
- Don’t tell them off if they are naughty
- Let them eat whenever they want
- Let them watch TV shows that I usually say no to
- Put up with them talking back