Investigators praised for fight against child porn

NZ Herald 25 June 2012
The war against child pornography in New Zealand has resulted in o close to 200 convictions over the past five years, officials say. A Rotorua man is the latest sent to jail after a Department of Internal Affairs investigation. Steve O’Brien, who heads the department’s censorship compliance unit, told the Herald his team was making a “major impact” nationally and globally, and its approach has been described as world-leading. Forty-two-year-old Christopher David Harold Grant was sent to prison on Friday for three years after a tip-off from a US agency led investigators to him. In December 2010, a complaint to the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children in the United States revealed Grant had uploaded images of teenagers aged 13 to 15 in naked poses to a website three months before. He was arrested as part of an international investigation which resulted in five arrests in New Zealand and 55 others in 20 countries. Mr O’Brien said the most important part of his unit’s work was that it involved innocent children.

…In other recent serious cases, Papamoa Beach cargo fumigation technician Cameron Mark Dunn last month admitted possessing and distributing child pornography – including images of babies and toddlers being sexually abused – over three years. In March, a Waikato businessman was sentenced to 10 months’ home detention after he was caught sharing files with an undercover investigator online.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10815206