Abortion pill death sparked warning
The Australian 19 March 2012
AUSTRALIA has had its first death of a woman using the abortion pill to terminate her pregnancy at home. Health regulator the Therapeutic Goods Administration issued a notice to doctors and clinics to review their follow-up care in light of the “bedroom abortion” gone wrong. The woman, unnamed by authorities, had been treated by the country’s largest private abortion service, Marie Stopes International Australia, in 2010. She is believed to have developed a streptococcus A infection and died of sepsis.
The death, confirmed only now, is the only one to be linked to use of RU486 since its introduction to Australia in 2006 and is believed to be the first in at least a decade involving a sanctioned elective abortion. The case was reported to a coroner, but no inquest was convened despite the rarity of abortion-related deaths in Australia.