TVNZ News 31 March 10
Family First says a poll shows that almost half of mothers of young children have admitted smacking illegally in the past 12 months, and three out of four want the law changed. The lobby group is using the poll to urge the government to adopt ACT MP John Boscawen’s private member’s bill to amend the anti-smacking law.
…The poll, by Curia Market Research, surveyed 1000 people.
– Extensive support for a law change across all demographics, or four out of five people.
– Three out of four said the law was not at all likely to help reduce the rate of child abuse
– Only one third of respondents actually understood the law correctly
– Forty-five percent of mums of under-12s have smacked illegally in past 12 months
– One quarter of mothers were more likely to vote for political party that commits to changing law
The poll, conducted last week, had a margin of error of 3.2%.