Boobs on Bikes ride faces legal challenge

NZ Herald August 14, 2008

An Auckland City councillor is seeking a court injunction to stop the Boobs on Bikes parade. Pornographer Steve Crow has made it clear he will stage the event on Wednesday despite the council refusing to issue a permit. The event, in which bare-breasted women parading down Queen St on open-top cars and motorbikes, is a promotion for Mr Crow’s R-18 Erotica Lifestyles Expo. Councillor Cathy Casey will ask the city development committee at a meeting this morning to take out an injunction on behalf of the council. The council recently passed a bylaw to bar events associated with pornography, but police say they are unable to stop the parade on indecency grounds.

…Family First National director Bob McCoskrie will speak at the council meeting in support of the motion. “The Boobs on Bikes parade is a commercial stunt advertising an R-18 event, with sexualised nudity in a public street that is offensive to many people and completely inappropriate for young people and children to view,” Mr McCoskrie said. “The websites which the parade advertises contain explicit sexual material and we would argue that the parade is essentially an advertisement and in breach of advertising standards. “It is a pity that it may take a court injunction to force the police to act against something that has so much public opposition. It is time families were put first.” He said it was ironic Mr Crow had a “flagrant disregard” for the council bylaw, as he had stood for mayor last year and could have been responsible for enforcing those bylaws. Mr Crow could not be reached for comment.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10526948