NZ Herald Dec 8 2000
Senior school students are being quizzed on how likely heterosexual teachers are to prey sexually on children. In a deliberately provocative teaching programme designed to expose anti-homosexual prejudices, pupils are asked questions including:
* “Ninety-nine per cent of reported rapists are heterosexual. Why are straights [heterosexuals] so sexually aggressive?”
* “The majority of child molesters are heterosexuals. Do you consider it safe to expose children to heterosexual teachers, Scout leaders, coaches etc?”
* “Forty per cent of married couples get divorced. Why is it so difficult for straights to stay in long-term relationships?”
The 182-page document is published by the Christchurch College of Education and financed by the Health Funding Authority. Gillian Tasker, the principal health education lecturer who coordinated the resource’s production, said it contained ridiculous statements about heterosexuals that were often made about homosexuals, to get people to see how “crazy” such opinions were. “Those statements are absurd – they are gross generalisations, they are based on faulty reasoning. “The purpose is to get people to recognise that a lot of the myths and assumptions made about homosexuals are just as ridiculous.” She said the programme was used only by sixth and seventh form pupils taking health as an optional subject. It was not part of compulsory sex education.
….QUESTIONS OF SEXUALITY
– from the school sex test
* Is it possible that heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?
* Considering the consequences of overpopulation, could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?
* How easy would it be for you if you wanted to change your sexual orientation, starting right now?
* What have been your reactions to answering these questions?